Cloth or disposible

Have a question? Wanna ask a mommy? Now you can!
Nanny Rachel

Cloth or disposible

Post by Nanny Rachel »

So what do u use...give me your recommendation and why you use that type...inquiry minds want to know.. :wink:
dapman

Post by dapman »

Cloth diapers rule! I guess since I am an older baby (huh?), and that's what I had when I young.
I also enjoy the plastic pants, the cute diaper pins, the click of the pins when they are closed, how they sag between my legs when they wet.
Like I said, maybe it's my age.....but cloth diapers RULE!!!!
Little Stinky Britches

Post by Little Stinky Britches »

I totaly agree with dapman! Cloth diapers rule! :D

Here's why...

1. Softness.
Nothing can compare with a Birdseye or Curity cloth diaper which has been washed a 100 times, and just taken off a clothesline or out of a dryer. Disposables don't even come close to that level of softness.

2. The Look.
When doubled, and combined with plastic or "rubber pants" a cloth diaper provides a more "Babyish" look. The huge, bulging, bulky, diapered look which all babies in the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's had, cannot be matched with modern disposable diapers. Back in the day, you could just glance at a toddler and know that he or she was still in diapers. The tell-tale bulk of the cloth diapers, the "waddle", the bow-leggedness and nosiey rustle of the plastic baby panties: all combined to let you know who was potty trained, and who was not. It was VERY obvious. :oops:

3. The Ritual.
Back in the cloth diaper era, mothers took more time when changing their babies and it was more of a ritual. Once it was known that a baby had wet or messed their pants, (diapers) the mother/caregiver would start assembling everything. Many babies were changed on the floor, and the mother/caregiver would start laying out the diapers, taking one diaper, making a rectangle, folding it over and over again, just the way the mother/caregiver wanted, and then another diaper was added as "doubler" or "soaker", again, it was folded over again untill the mother/caregiver was satisfied with it's desired thickness and size. Then, once the diapers were folded and ready for the baby, the mother/caregiver would assemble baby powder, baby lotion, Vasoline, a fresh, clean pair of plastic "rubber" pants, and a wet washcloth.

4. Washcloths For Poopy Bottoms.
Back in the cloth diaper era, mothers/caregivers cleaned poopy bottoms with warm, wet washcloths. I remember this well. I was my mom's "little helper" when she watched infants and toddlers in our home. Several times a day, my mom would pull back a baby's rubber pants, peer inside their diaper, and turn to me and say, "Would you go get me some washcloths? She just pooped her pants." I would then run to the bathroom and get sevral washcloths, run them under warm/hot water and take them to my mom. Growing up in this time, I watched my mom as well as other moms clean poopy bottoms with warm, wet washcloths, and they took their time doing it too. Again, it was more of a slow ritual.... and I think gave the mother/caregiver more time to interact with the baby then today.

5. Diaper Pins.
In his post, dapman had mentioned the sound of diaper pins being clicked into place. Yes, I love and remember that too! However, one of the things that I really loved about that time, was the fact that mothers/caregivers always held diaper pins in their mouth when diapering a baby. My own mom would hold the two diaper pins in her mouth as she pulled the wings of the diaper together, then as she held them tightly together, she would take one of the pins out of her mouth and run it through her hair to "oil it up" and make it slide through the thick diaper more easly. For me, there is nothing more beautiful then the sight of a mother with two diaper pins in her mouth, in the process of diapering a baby. :D

Phew! Somebody needs a changing.
Victoriah Nichole Little

Post by Victoriah Nichole Little »

No. I love disposable best. And not those dumb cloth-like cover disposables either - gotta be plastic.

1. The look: The thicker the diaper, the better. But if it is cloth, it just does not look babyish to me.

2. The sound: Lots of cute crinkling noises as baby moves about.

3. The scent: Most disposable diaper companies at one time used a scent with their diapers, and that always reminds me of the nursery.

4. The tapes: You mention the sound of the click of diaper pins - but nothing else in the world matches the sound of a diaper tape being pulled.

5. The convenience: Way, WAY easier than cloth. All one piece, no folding, no washing the diapers - take it off and toss it when you are done. Especially easier when traveling! Also, they pull open easier for spanking, but of course an ANGEL like me wouldn't know anything 'bout that! (Why are the Mommies staring at me like that?)

6. Healthier: Frankly, they are healthier for the skin since they pull wetness into a gel. AND, while this leaves the skin drier, it also leads to:

7. Less leaks.